PAID MANUSCRIPT CONSULTATIONS
15-minute manuscript critique with a faculty member. All manuscripts will be reviewed by a faculty member (see list on the Agents Day registration page). On the online submission form, you will have an opportunity to indicate your top 3 preferred faculty and we will do our best to match you. The submission policy is as follows:
- One picture book manuscript of up to six pages in length (1,200 words max). You may only submit ONE picture book manuscript per paid consultation, regardless of the length. NOTE: Art notes do NOT count as part of your story's word count.
- Or, for MG/YA novels, up to 10 pages (2,500 words max). You may include a brief one page optional synopsis in addition to your 10 page sample.
- Although Picture Book authors may submit up to 1,200 words of a manuscript, we highly suggest sending the tightest, most polished text possible. Picture book word counts are continually shrinking these days, typically UNDER 500 words. We must make every word count! Avoid comments from faculty such as "Too wordy" and "You could cut out all this description." Of course there are always exceptions to every rule, so just submit with care.
- If you are an author who is collaborating with an illustrator on an unpublished work, you as the author may not submit your illustrator’s work for review.
Q: Why do novel samples get 2,500 words and I can only submit one picture book per consultation under 1,200 words?
A: Novels and picture books are two very different storytelling mediums. Picture book texts must "make every word count" as well as share the page with illustrations for very young children. Novels are tens of thousands of words longer, and therefore require a slightly more substanial introduction for a manuscript consultant to provide adequate feedback.
Format for manuscripts:
- Your name and contact info in the upper left corner of the first page
- Your manuscript’s title centered in the upper middle of the first page
- Text starting half-way down the first page, double spaced
- 1 inch margins all around with name, title and page number in the header or footer
- 12 point Courier, Times or Arial type
What to Send and How to Submit:
Once you have carefully proofed, spell checked and edited all text,
create ONE WORD FILE TITLED: [your last name] – [manuscript title]
(Example: JONES – TheHappyBird.doc or WILLIAMS – Dragonriders.docx)
The file will contain:
1. Your cover letter
2. An optional synopsis page for MG/YA novels only
3. Your title page and manuscript text
IMPORTANT: To submit your manuscript, visit our Submissions Upload Page (link provided directly below) where you will upload your single Word file to our online Dropbox. You will need to enter your contact information, select faculty consultant preferences, indicate genre, and upload your file, then click SUBMIT. Shortly after, you will receive an automated confirmation email.
Please upload your manuscript ONLY ONCE. We cannot accept multiple revised uploads. Proof your work carefully and submit when you are absolutely ready (prior to the submission deadline of June 25, 2017).
Note: An optional upload button is provided for author/illustrators to include 4 sample spreads of their art (see details below). This upload option is for author/illustrators only. If you are an author working with an illustrator, you may not include your illustrator's art in your submission.
- REGARDING YOUR COVER LETTER: All submissions are welcome to include an OPTIONAL brief 1-page cover letter on the first page of your Word document followed by the manuscript text. Do not address your letter to a particular faculty member. “Dear Agents Day Manuscript Reviewer,” or similar is fine. Much like a query letter, this can be a quick note that includes a pitch/synopsis and any relevant biographical information.
- HOW TO INDICATE YOUR PREFERRED MANUSCRIPT REVIEWER: All manuscripts will be reviewed by a faculty member. You will be able to indicate your top 3 preferred faculty on the Submissions Upload Page and we will do our best to match you.
- SPECIAL NOTE FOR AUTHOR/ILLUSTRATORS: Author-illustrators may opt to submit along with the picture book manuscript a PDF with up to 4 illustrated spreads (11×17 with gutter indicated) from the manuscript being reviewed. Final illustrations are not required. You could, for instance, include one finished color spread and three roughs. Please keep the PDF file size as small as possible. If you have a hard copy “dummy”, you may bring it to your consultation.
- RECEIVING CONFIRMATION: If you do not receive a confirmation of receipt email (to the email you provide on the Submissions Upload Page) within 24 hours, please send a follow up email without file attachments to Manuscript Coordinator Ariane Erickson at email@example.com.
- DEADLINE: ALL MANUSCRIPTS MUST BE UPLOADED NO LATER THAN JUNE 25, 2017. If you miss the deadline, you will not get a critique and you forfeit the fee. Sorry, no refunds.